New QGIS install of Pisa 2.10

So, to update..

I've recently had to (Mr Ninja did it for me) change to Linux, we chose Elementary Freya, and can I say.. Loving it! .. Okay so I like smooth awesome GUI designed 'things' and Freya is awesome.

So first things I had to install.. Gimp, Inkscape and QGIS! of course..

Watch this space, once my drives are all connected I'll have all my GIS data back and I'll let you know what I think of this build of QGIS Version 2.10 .. first impressions is that it looks more professional.. (although I'm not sure how much the new OS has to do with this)

Remember to check out their website http://qgis.com/

Its no ArcGIS but like any app, if you spend the time to see what it can actually do vs what you assume it cant, theres no limit to what you can do with QGIS. (Remembering that its FREE vs the must-pay-ArcGIS-mega-bucks)

Personally, having used MapInfo for a while in my old job, I can say that QGIS hold its own against this particular commercial product. But I will disclaim that as a current stay at home parent that without the easy access to datasets means I've not really pushed QGIS to the limits I might if I'd had a project in front of me to work on.

In other news:

My screenshot of my recent Cartography Study map was moved into another one of QGIS's flicker folders so, once updated, will be visible on their "QGIS created maps" rather than the "QGIS screenshots" (it was a screenshot, but seems it looks nice enough to include in the completed maps page.. so Yay!)



Take care
Go create!

Melissa

Comments

Popular Posts